We love granola bars around here. It’s such a great, portable snack that I can feel good about giving the kids. Especially these bars. Check out the list of ingredients below and then compare it to the one you might buy at the grocery store. My list is much shorter, and the end result is better. If you’re looking for a sweeter version, the Peanut Butter Chip ones are delicious.
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup Rice Krispies
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup Karo syrup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup roasted salted peanuts, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and line a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Let the paper hang over the edge of the pan so you can take it out easily.
2. Place the Karo syrup, brown sugar and the butter into a microwave safe bowl.
3. Melt the mixture in the microwave for 1 minute.
4. Once melted, stir it all together and add the vanilla, peanuts, oats, Rice Krispies and cranberries.
5. Spread this thick mixture in a 9×9 inch baking pan lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.
6. Take the pan out of the oven, and pull the bars out as one big square using the parchment. Let them cool 30 minutes on a cooling rack before cutting.
Makes 18 snack bars. You could also crush this up for cereal or as an ice cream, yogurt or fresh fruit topping. Yum!