I am always looking for meals that can do double duty…you know they can morph into a new meal done in a different way for the next night’s dinner. It seems no one wants to eat leftovers, but if you transform them into a different dish entirely it can save a tired mom a lot of headaches come witching hour.
So when I’m meal planning I tend to think not just about dinner tonight, but what I can add to it for tomorrow’s meal. And I don’t mean just tossing it in a salad. For example, this chicken dish morphs beautifully into a Lazy Lasagna which you can even pop in the freezer if you want.
This one is super easy too! You can literally spend 5 minutes prepping stuff and toss it on the grill and it’ll be ready to go. As you’re doing clean-up after the meal that’s when you can become super-mom and save the day tomorrow! I’ve also added the recipe for some Orange Carmelized Yams that you can make in the microwave, so there’s an entire dinner for this week.
Raspberry Balsamic Chicken Shopping List:
1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons raspberry seedless jam (apricot, strawberry and grape work fine too)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons dry rosemary
1/4 cup raspberry jelly
1/4 cup balsamic
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dry rosemary
1 teaspoon salt
Carmelized Yams Shopping List:
1 12-ounce package precut yams [The orange flesh ones are yams (although Trader Joe’s labels them as sweet potatoes) 🙂 Any shape will do. I bought spears, and then cut them in half…I think they’re more kid friendly if they are smaller bites.]
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
Instructions for both:
1.Heads up: You will need to marinate this for one hour or overnight. To make the marinade, just simply place the chicken in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag and pour 1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons rosemary, and the garlic on top. Zip it up and mush it all around so it’s all covered. Then let it marinate in the refrigerator as time allows.
2.When it’s done marinating, heat your barbecue to high heat for about 10 minutes. Then, place the chicken on the oiled grates.
3. Let it cook (untouched) for 5-7 minutes. make sure to close the lid too. Then flip the chicken and cook another 5-7 minutes on the other side.
4. Meanwhile, melt the jam in a small microwaveable bowl in the microwave for 1 minute on HIGH or until it’s very syrupy.
5. Then, add the remaining SAUCE ingredients to the jam and stir. Set this aside and use it to baste the chicken the last few minutes it is on the grill.
6. Meanwhile, in a medium size microwaveable bowl (preferably one with a lid), melt the 2 tablespoons of butter for 30 seconds on high.
7. To the melted butter stir in the orange juice and brown sugar. It will start to get lumpy if you use cold juice, that’s okay, it won’t change the taste.
8. Toss the yams in the juice mixture to coat all the pieces. Then cover it and microwave it for 7 minutes on HIGH.