I think it’s the vinegar that always sucks me in to those marinated mushrooms at the deli counter. Really, it’s the salty and sour combination, I think. Just so you know, I don’t ever buy them anymore, but I see them staring at me when I’m waiting for my sliced turkey breast. If you’re anything like me, you fight with yourself about buying those other seemingly fresh salads in the deli case. Again, I don’t buy them, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t have those moments where I crave that classic picnic fare. From time to time I try to reinvent these favorites, whether it be for a potluck or for a dinner party of my own. I mean most of those salads are the make-ahead type and who wouldn’t love to make everything ahead on a weeknight too.
I think of this recipe as a take on that marinated mushroom favorite…with a little bit of class. In my mind this dish is half-way between a steakhouse side of mushrooms and the deli counter marinated mushrooms. This is one of those go to recipes for when I serve a crowd because it so simple. This makes a pretty regular appearance at family gatherings since I can make it in advance and serve it at room temperature. Many years ago I came across this recipe in the LA Times and have been making it ever since.In this version I’ve adjusted the measurements to be four side-dish portions.
1 box sliced white mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon squeezed about 1/4 cup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper to taste
3 cloves garlic, crushed
4 slices REAL bacon (it’s important to use the real stuff because you want to have the flavor from the drippings in your dressing.)
1. Heat a large non-stick saute pan on medium-high heat.
2. Cook the bacon in the pan until it is crispy, this takes about 5-7 minutes. When it’s done place it on paper towels to drain excess fat.
3. Turn the heat down to low and add the garlic and olive oil. Cook this 3 minutes. Then remove it from the heat.
4. Let the oil mixture cool about 5 minutes. Then add lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper to the oil mixture.
5. Pour the dressing over the mushrooms and toss it well . Then toss in green onions.
6. Let this rest 30 minutes or refrigerate up to 4 hours before serving.
7. To serve gently toss in the bacon.