butter, for greasing
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 cup packed, dark brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 large eggs
juice and finely grated zest of 1 small orange
2/3 cup milk
11 tablespoons golden syrup (I used maple syrup in my version)
creme fraiche or custard to serve ( I didn’t use any in mine)
1. Grease the insides of 6 little microwaveable dishes with butter, I used coffee cups.
2. In a medium bowl combine all of the ingredients except the syrup and creme fraiche or custard. Add one tablespoon of the syrup and mix everything together with a wooden spoon until well combined.
3. Spoon 1 tablespoon of syrup in the bottom of each of the dishes, then divide the cake batter among them.
4. Tear 6 pieces of parchment paper a little larger than the diameter of the dishes. Grease them with a little butter and place them on top pf each dish pressing down gently.
5. Place all of the dishes in the microwave and cook on 50% power for 7 1/2 minutes. Leave the cakes to stand in the microwave for another 5 minutes before carefully removing the parchment paper.
6. To serve, warm 1/4 cup of the syrup in the microwave for 30 seconds. Invert the cakes on to a small dish, you might need to cut around the edges of the dish first to help loosen it. Drizzle with some of the warm syrup and a dollop of creme fraiche or custard.
Makes 6 mini cakes.